Dear Sant^H^H^H^HPlanet Ubuntu

Knitting on 21st century For years I’ve been crying after a proper knitting pattern editor that does KnitML. Yesterday, after rambling at my employers internal XMPP coffee room about how maemo really needs that, since, hey, it really would be a killer application, a coworker pointed me to this: Knitter. No, it’s not for maemo, but atleast it’s a knitting pattern editor!

What I don’t understand though, is why it has to be 3D? Could someone who has actually made more knitting patterns than I have explain this to me?

Anyway… I tried very very hard to compile and install it myself. All my tries ended up with an error, because, to be honest, I’m really not a coder/compiler type (yet). And I have no idea what’s wrong:

knitter_gui.h:24:26: error: wx/clrpicker.h: No such file or directory
knitter_gui.h:29:24: error: wx/gbsizer.h: No such file or directory

And I *DO* have all the damn wx-headers (wx2.4-headers, wx2.6-headers and even wx2.8-headers) installed. Either I’m ignoring something blindingly obvious, which is totally possible, or there’s something wrong. Whichever the case is, I’m not happy.

So. Dear Planet Ubuntu, and why not any other kind soul who is reading this as well. Please tell me where I’m going wrong, and please, would you do “[needs-packaging] Knitter” -bug to Ubuntu/Debian? I would do the latter myself, but you see, I need to knit…

//edit: btw, I’m running Intrepid on 64-bit, so if anyone has the deb laying around on their hard drive, I’d be more than happy to test it.

This entry was posted in general, Handiworks, ICT, Planet Ubuntu, Saw it in the Intahweb and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dear Sant^H^H^H^HPlanet Ubuntu

1. Jo Shields says:

jms@osc-franzibald:~$ apt-file search wx/gbsizer.h
    wx2.6-headers: /usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/gbsizer.h
    wx2.8-headers: /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gbsizer.h
    jms@osc-franzibald:~$ apt-file search wx/clrpicker.h
    wx2.8-headers: /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/clrpicker.h

Looks like wx2.8 is needed; try “sudo update-alternatives –config wx-config” and ensure a 2.8-based one is default

2. Rieppa says:

Hehee, mies mainitsi, että joku vilautti töissä kuvaa, jossa oli Fifi ja Fifin kaavio :) Että eikö näitä pääse karkuun edes töihin… Sääli, kun tuli vaihdettua puhelin juuri super-perus-ei-älymalliin, koska älyluurilla pystyi selaamaan kaavioita reissussa. Media on vastedes siis vanha kunnon paperi.

3. Dee says:

“sudo update-alternatives –config wx-config” should help.

4. Alex says:

You should file a bug requesting that this be packaged for Jaunty.

5. myrtti says:

Here we are, after every dependency installed: http://paste.ubuntu.com/88650/

6. nightrose says:

Ohhh looks interesting. Let me know when there are any updates. I’d be willing to test packages as well.

7. Seppo Yli-Olli says:

Hrm, apparently even though it requires wxGTK-2.8, the coder hasn’t managed to port it for wxGTK-2.8 properly. Eg the fact that he tries to compare wxString == (const char*) when that in fact is removed after wxGTK-2.6 and you now have to use wxString == (wxChar*).

8. Roger says:

I’ve put a patch at http://atchoo.org/temp/knitter.patch that fixes build problem. It builds, runs and opens patterns, but doesn’t seem to work with the included knitml examples – I’ve no idea whether they’re defective or not.

In case you’re unfamiliar with patches, do the following:

cd knitter-0.3.1
    wget http://atchoo.org/temp/knitter.patch
    patch -p0 < knitter.patch

Then you can compile as normal.

9. Roger says:

I’ve given packaging it up a whirl to help further my experience. I’ve put it in my ppa, let me know if it works!

10. Jonathan says:

You may want to check out the new Graphical Pattern Editor and Composer (GPEC) that comes from KnitML itself. It was released right before Christmas. You don’t have to use the command line anymore: you simply click on tabs at the bottom of the editor and the various formats appear.

It’s still in its infancy, but the format you use to type in the patterns is reminiscent of a text pattern.